Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson provided interesting comments when asked about Manchester United being linked to Michael Olise which have since caused a stir.
However, his new deal has a release clause included, which is believed to be less than £60 million, according to Fabrizio Romano, and a move at the end of the season could materialise.
When questioned about United’s interest in his player last week, Hodgson admitted that it would be ‘sad’ if Olise makes the move.
“It would be a sad day for the club [if he leaves]. I’m certain the club would like him to honour [his contract] and to help improve the team,” said Hodgson. “We want to make the team stronger and not lose players to other Premier League clubs who have money on the table.”
One of the few concerns over the 23-year-old is his recent injury trouble after consecutive hamstring injuries. He was out of action across the summer and then returned to play several 90-minute games in a row before hitting another setback.
Despite these concerns, Hodgson interestingly suggested that he would ignore the advice of the medical team if Olise himself felt ready to start their clash against Sheffield United on Tuesday.
“He’s available to [start]. But he had a very, very long spell out. He came back, and then he’s been out for a further four weeks with an injury in a similar part of the body,” added the Palace boss.
“You can understand that the doctors and the sports scientists are very concerned. I understand them too, but I also trust Michael and how he thinks and feels.
“I will speak to him again tomorrow before the game, and if he were to assure me: ‘Don’t worry, I can play, I want to start’, I would start him. But if he, alongside the medical people, suggested it might be a bit soon and said ‘I’m not certain that I feel ready for it’, I would respect that too.”
Olise played 77 minutes before coming off and eventually having another injury scare. He was back on the bench for Palace this weekend and hobbled off the pitch 11 minutes after being reintroduced.
“I was told that he couldn’t start the game,” said Hodgson. “Everyone was quite comfortable with that. But they told me, and he told me too, that he was fine to be on the bench and play in the second half.
“Unfortunately, because I don’t have a crystal ball – I had no hindsight – I wasn’t to know that it would lead to him getting a recurrence of his injury.”
The situation and management from Hodgson has been blasted by Palace supporters and it will worry some United fans if the club are going to make a summer move for the winger.
Omar Berrada’s first Manchester United task set to impact three players at Old Trafford
INEOS choose Manchester United player to build around with three transfer targets
Erik ten Hag disagrees with Harry Maguire’s Rasmus Højlund comment
5 things learned as Manchester United defeat Burnley 2-0 (EFL Cup)
Player ratings: Manchester United 2-0 Burnley
How Lisandro Martinez made Manchester United World Cup history
Transfers2 days ago
Raphaël Varane to walk from Manchester United this summer after “huge” development
News2 days ago
Mason Greenwood sends Man United clear message after Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s comments
News2 days ago
Manchester United could make shock left-back decision after Alvaro Fernandez return ruled out
News2 days ago
Erik ten Hag hints at Manchester United start for Amad Diallo vs Fulham