Follow us on

'.

Manchester United looking to “repeat” Chido Obi transfer coup by signing “incredible” Senegalese teen this summer

Manchester United are looking to repeat their transfer coup of Chido Obi by signing an “incredible” Senegalese teenager this summer.

Manchester United’s 2024 summer transfer window saw the club sign five first-team players to add to then-manager Erik ten Hag’s squad, spending a net of around £100 million.

However, behind the scenes the club also worked on securing multiple Academy signings, with those such as Chido Obi and Sekou Kone joining the club before the end of 2025 and both being integrated into Rúben Amorim’s first team.

Most of Obi’s games at the club so far have come with the U18s and U21s, with Kone the same and yet to make his debut, but the 17-year-old striker is a player who is starting to take the first-team by storm.

“Chido is talented,” centre-back Leny Yoro recently said of Obi. “He can become one of the world’s best strikers in my opinion, if he continues his development. He scores a lot of goals and is a good boy, so I also hope that he will become one of the best.”

United looking to repeat Obi transfer

With the 2025 summer window on the horizon, the club are looking to add a wealth of first-team talent to Amorim’s side, but those involved in the Academy are also eyeing new youth signings.

According to the ever-reliable United Academy outlet AcademyScoop, the club’s youth-level decision-makers are preparing for an ambitious summer window that will hopefully see United secure further talents.

It is report that preliminary work has already begun on bringing in a series of fresh young players to the system, with United wanting to repeat the transfer coup of Obi from Arsenal by securing talents of his level.

Chelsea and Manchester City have been the leading clubs in the Academy space for a number of years, but United want to put themselves on at least equal footing by signing talented teenagers for both the Academy set-up and Amorim’s first-team.

United targeting “incredible” Senegalese starlet

With this in mind, there are now reports that United are gearing up to sign Assane Diao, Como’s impressive Senegalese winger.

The 19-year-old is said to be a player with “incredible” acceleration and is comfortable using both feet, preferring to play on the right flank – A position United are short of talent beyond the talents of Amad.

Read More: Angel Gomes – Manchester United’s true stance on re-signing Academy starlet on free transfer

According to TuttoJuve, United are one of three clubs are thinking of making a move for the Senegalese international, with Newcastle and Liverpool also in the mix.

Diao has made 31 appearances for Como this season, scoring seven goals, and is “enthusiastic” about the prospect of joining a Premier League club this summer to further his development and ply his trade in England.

Although the winger is a step ahead of Kone and Obi in terms of playing professional football, he certainly falls within the remit of the club’s policy of attracting high-level teenage talent this summer.


Make sure to follow UtdDistrict on X, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and TikTok to never miss out on any of our Manchester United content. Our podcast, What the Devil?, is streamed live every Thursday at 12:30 pm (BST) on the United View YouTube channel.