Fabrizio Romano has confirmed Manchester United’s three-man midfield shortlist ahead of next summer, as they look to replace the departing Casemiro.
Manchester United opted against making any midfield signings over the course of the past two transfer windows, instead sticking with the depth that they already have.
Under Ruben Amorim, the Reds were heavily linked with a move for Brighton’s Carlos Baleba, although nothing ever materialised.
Since Amorim’s departure, Michael Carrick has returned United to a more familiar 4-2-3-1 system, with Kobbie Mainoo and Casemiro occupying the midfield pivot.
With Casemiro leaving the Red Devils in the summer, it is almost a guarantee that United will recruit a new midfielder, and Fabrizio Romano has now confirmed their shortlist.
United’s three-man midfield shortlist
As explained on his YouTube channel, transfer guru Romano has reported who currently sits on United’s list of midfield targets, as well as clearing up any rumours regarding Liverpool’s Alexis Mac Allister, who was recently linked to the Reds.
“You know, because I told you several times, Man United will be really busy with midfielders in the summer,” Romano said. “I expect Man United to be really, really busy in that position. It could be one, it could be two, so it could be a really interesting point.
“So, Man United will not decide in February about the midfielder. They have a shortlist with some names being considered, being monitored. Among those names, there are several options.
“I told you already, for example, that Elliot Anderson is really appreciated. I told you that Baleba was a top target with Amorim as a coach; let’s see what happens next now with Amorim no longer there I told you also that Sandro Tonali is appreciated by Man United, Arsenal, Juventus in Italy.”
Baleba falling out of favour
Over the course of the summer transfer window, United were constantly linked to Brighton’s Baleba due to his impressive campaign in the 2024/25 season.
However, since the window slammed shut, Baleba has struggled to make an impact for the Seagulls in a similar way and may have fallen out of favour at the club.
READ MORE: Owen Hargreaves gives interesting insight to Lisandro Martínez after interviewing Man Utd star
The Cameroonian has started 18 of Brighton’s Premier League fixtures so far, but has consistently been substituted early in matches, including being withdrawn after only 22 minutes during a 1-0 loss to Aston Villa last week.
It remains unclear whether the Reds are still favouring a move for the Brighton man; however, it is now clear that Carrick’s side will be patient with any potential midfield acquisitions.
Make sure to follow UtdDistrict on X, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and TikTok to never miss out on any of our Manchester United content. Our podcast, What the Devil?, is streamed live every Thursday at 14:00 pm (GMT) on the United View YouTube channel.