Follow us on

'.

“During the call…” What Napoli told Manchester United about Kobbie Mainoo transfer as ‘£50m offer’ reports denied

The truth surrounding Napoli’s interest in Kobbie Mainoo has been explained as Manchester United continue to block the player’s loan exit.

Manchester United have sent 11 players out on loan this season as they look to reduce the size of their squad without European football to contend with.

Ten of those are Academy prospects seeking minutes, while Marcus Rashford is the only senior player to depart, joining Barcelona on loan with a £30 million option to buy next summer.

The club’s only permanent sale so far is Alejandro Garnacho, who is set to seal a £40 million move to Chelsea, though further departures are expected.

Tyrell Malacia is attracting interest from La Liga over a possible loan, Rasmus Højlund is closing in on a switch to Napoli, and Real Betis remain in talks for Antony, though United are reluctant to sanction a loan for the winger.

The biggest twist in recent days, however, concerns Kobbie Mainoo, who is understood to have asked for a loan move this week — a development both surprising and unsettling for the club.

Napoli’s interest in Mainoo is not as advanced as reported

It was explained earlier this week that Napoli had a definitive interest in Mainoo, with it being expected that amid talks for Højlund, the midfielder was set to become part of the conversation.

Despite a report from Darren Lewis in The Mirror stating that Mainoo had asked United to accept a £50 million proposal from Napoli, the truth is that the Serie A side’s interest has yet to progress beyond simply requesting an update on his situation.

According to Italian transfer journalist Alfredo Pedulla, via Napoli Magazine, Napoli have only requested information regarding Mainoo. Still, they are yet to formalise their interest any further than a simple request.

“What can I tell you about Manchester United’s Mainoo? Yesterday’s English launch was sensational. Mainoo is a fantastic 2005 player, he’s incredibly talented,” Pedulla explained.

“If I were president, sporting director, and coach of my team, and I had him, I would never give him away.“

Continuing, the journalist said: “In fact, there’s no guarantee they’ll give him away. What I can tell you is that, during the call and the discussions, Napoli asked for information—as I said last night on TV—but it didn’t go beyond a simple request. We’ll see if there are any developments.”

Mainoo does not want to leave United permanently

Within Lewis’ report, it is also claimed that the 20-year-old had told United he wanted to leave the club on a permanent basis this summer, despite earlier claims from the ever-reliable David Ornstein that Mainoo had only asked to leave on loan.

Read More: What Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjær said about Manchester United return amid duo sacked from Turkish Pro League

Following Lewis’ report, transfer expert Fabrizio Romano has since reiterated that Mainoo has not asked to leave permanently, and has “no intention” of doing so.

His only view of potentially leaving United would be on a season-long loan, although Romano further clarifies that United continue to block any potential exit this month.

Mainoo is reportedly seen as a valued player at United and a key figure within the club, who expect him to remain at Old Trafford beyond Monday’s deadline and continue to fight for his place.


Make sure to follow UtdDistrict on XInstagramFacebookYouTube, and TikTok to never miss out on any of our Manchester United content. Our podcast, What the Devil?, is streamed live every Thursday at 12:30 pm (BST) on the United View YouTube channel.