Follow us on

'.

“Do something…” Ian Wright warns Man City about Manchester United star he feels could make the difference for Rúben Amorim

Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright has explained that he feels there is one Manchester United star who could cause damage against Man City on Sunday afternoon.

Manchester United returned to action earlier this week following the March international break, with Rúben Amorim now turning his focus to Sunday’s Manchester Derby at Old Trafford.

United suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat away to Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night. Although the result was underwhelming and finishing remained an issue, Amorim’s side showed more control on the ball and a clearer identity in possession.

Now, the 40-year-old will be aiming to build on those foundations when his team face Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City in one of the biggest fixtures of the season.

With Europa League commitments also looming, Amorim will be keeping an eye on next Thursday’s crucial away leg against Olympique Lyonnais.

Wright warns City about Amorim star

While United fans will not be heading into the tie with the uttermost confidence, there is one man former Arsenal striker Ian Wright feels the club can depend on.

On The Overlap, co-host Jill Scott half-jokingly suggested that United captain Bruno Fernandes could score a hat-trick amid City’s defensive troubles.

In response, Wright explained that he feels the 30-year-old will “definitely do something” at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon, later reiterating his stance with the same phrase.

Guardiola would do well to heed Wright’s warning. Fernandes already has four goals and four assists against City, and has amassed 31 goal contributions so far this season across club competitions.

With respect to a final score prediction, former United captains Gary Neville and Roy Keane both predicted the tie would end in a draw, with the former predicting two goals each while the latter went with a 1-1 scoreline.

United not focusing on City’s issues, says Amorim

In the build-up to the tie, Rúben Amorim held his usual pre-match press conference where journalists probed the manager for his thoughts about the upcoming tie.

“I’m more focused on our problems,” The 40-year-old said. “I think we have bigger problems than Manchester City.

Read More: Manchester United star has held talks with European clubs after making “highest level” claim

“They had that run in that moment but they improved. They can play in different ways. It’s really hard to understand how and to think how they are going to face us.

“They have maybe the best coach in the world and they have top players, so it will be a difficult match but like I said I’m so focused on improving my team that I’m not worried about the improvements of Manchester City.

“Just try to understand how Manchester City is going to play so I can help my players be on top of their game.”


Make sure to follow UtdDistrict on X, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and TikTok to never miss out on any of our Manchester United content. Our podcast, What the Devil?, is streamed live every Thursday at 12:30 pm (GMT) on the United View YouTube channel.