Fabrizio Romano has revealed what Manchester United told Kobbie Mainoo after he once again requested to leave on loan.
Manchester United have sent 11 players out on loan this season as they look to cut down their squad following the lack of European football.
Ten of those departures involve Academy players gaining valuable game time, while Marcus Rashford is the only senior player to leave, joining Barcelona on loan with a £30 million option to buy next summer.
Alejandro Garnacho remains the only permanent sale so far, with his £40 million move to Chelsea set to go through, though more exits are expected in the coming weeks.
Tyrell Malacia is being linked with a loan to La Liga, Rasmus Højlund is close to finalising a move to Napoli, and Real Betis continue to chase Antony, though United are unwilling to let him leave on loan.
The most notable development of late, however, is Kobbie Mainoo’s situation, with reports suggesting the midfielder has asked to leave on loan this week — a move that has raised eyebrows at the club.
United standing firm after second Mainoo request
After news broke of Mainoo’s request to leave on loan, Amorim was asked about the player during his press conference on Friday afternoon, confirming that he would like the 20-year-old to stay this season.
However, as confirmed by transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, Mainoo has once again reiterated his desire to leave for one season to develop and potentially feature in the 2026 World Cup; however, the club have reiterated that there is no scope for his departure.
“Kobbie Mainoo has told Manchester United again that he wants to go — that he wants to go on loan, not a permanent transfer,” Romano explained on his YouTube channel. “Remember: loan only, one season, play, develop, go to the World Cup in 2026, and then return to Manchester United.
But at the moment, Manchester United insist they don’t want the player to go. So Kobbie’s pushing — he’s asked to go, Manchester United say no, Rúben Amorim says in the press conference no — but Kobbie is still insisting.
So let’s see what’s going to happen there with Kobbie Mainoo, who wants to go on loan, while Manchester United want to keep the player. I think in the next 24 hours the situation for Kobbie Mainoo will be more clear.”
Amorim must play Mainoo if he wants him to stay
Mainoo has no desire to cut ties with United – the player wants his long-term future to be at Old Trafford, but he simply feels his development is being hindered by his lack of game time under Amorim.
Read More: Antony sends 12-word message after shock Real Betis official statement, Man Utd’s response is clear
If Amorim is telling the truth, that he sees Mainoo as an important part of his squad and that he will fight for his place, the head coach must give his midfield a fair shot.
Amorim recently stated that he sees Mainoo as a player competing with Bruno Fernandes for a spot in the centre of the pitch. Still, considering that Fernandes plays 90 minutes and most fixtures, this is an entirely unfair expectation to have of a 20-year-old.
Mainoo needs to play football because when he does, he’s one of the most talented midfielders in the world. If Amorim wants him to stay, he must hand Mainoo a genuinely fair shot at shining.
Make sure to follow UtdDistrict on X, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and TikTok to never miss out on any of our Manchester United content. Our podcast, What the Devil?, is streamed live every Thursday at 12:30 pm (BST) on the United View YouTube channel.