Denmark manager Brian Riemer has addressed the chances of Chido Obi being fast-tracked to the national side’s first team following great performances for Manchester United’s Academy.
Manchester United secured the signing of Chido Obi at the start of the season after the young striker opted against signing a professional contract with Arsenal.
The 17-year-old was eager to join United, believing his pathway to the first team would be clearer after witnessing the rise of Alejandro Garnacho and Kobbie Mainoo.
Obi initially featured for the club’s Under-18s but quickly proved he was ready for the next step, marking his debut with a stunning 13-minute hat-trick.
He continued to impress for the Under-21s while also representing the Under-18s in the prestigious FA Youth Cup, before earning a surprise call-up to the first-team squad.
Amorim has involved the youngster in his last three first-team matchday squads, and he has made two appearances so far, against Tottenham and Everton in the Premier League.
Denmark bosses addresses Obi debut
Speaking to Tipsbladet, Denmark manager Brian Riemer was recently asked about whether he has considered fast-tracking Obi to the first team squad in order to tie his future to Denmark.
Until a player plays for a national side’s first-team, they are allowed to switch their nationalities. Obi is also qualified to represent Nigeria.
However, Riemer explained that despite Obi’s resent rise at Old Trafford, he has no plans to rush the young striker development.
“Can I start by saying that I really think we’re telling a fantastic story here,” Riemer started.
“Think about how many times we’ve sat with a Danish national team and said: ‘We’re short of players, when will we get some strikers?’
“We have so many young players, some of them may be just young enough to break through, but it’s great that we have so many knocking on the door, I think that’s important to say.
“Chido is a player who has played for our Under-18 national team, so if anything, it’s gone even stronger, so I think you have to say that in order to follow the right business procedures, we have to make sure we do it the right way.”
Obi’s recent interview quotes
Obi’s heroics in the FA Youth Cup have been fantastic, also he was not involved in the squad’s recent 3-2 win over Arsenal in the competition’s quarter finals on Friday evening as Amorim wants him involved in the FA Cup against Fulham.
Obi recently conducted his first interview with United’s club media, speaking after he scored a hattrick against Chelsea in the round of 16 of the competition.
Read More: Adam Lawrence sends Rúben Amorim clear message about wildcard Academy option, he could replace Amad
“I love to score goals and I love to help the team win in this big competition,” the 17-year-old starlet told club media after his star performance against Chelsea. “So yeah, it’s really good.”
United are lacking in forward options for the remainder of the season after sending Marcus Rashford, Antony, and Ethan Wheatley all on loan in January, meaning Obi is could lined up for his first start at the club before the season ends amid poor form from Rasmus Højlund.
Make sure to follow UtdDistrict on X, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and TikTok to never miss out on any of our Manchester United content. Our podcast, What the Devil?, is released every Wednesday at 6 pm (BST) on the United View YouTube channel.