Hey reader, welcome to The Weekly Round-Up. Here you can catch a glimpse of all the news throughout the last week. Our aim is to keep you up to date with all of the reliable news regarding Manchester United, so you don’t miss a thing.
While it was not the best week on the field for The Reds, losing out to Queens Park Rangers in their pre-season clash, they had a very impressive week off of the pitch. There has been a boatload of action for the Women’s team this week in regards to transfers and the Men’s team have also done some very impressive business. There is also more news regarding the future of Paul Pogba, Axel Tuanzebe and Eric Bailly – as well as much more. Let’s get into it.
Raphael Varane is a done deal
Manchester United have announced that they have agreed a deal in principle to sign Real Madrid‘s Raphael Varane. Fabrizio Romano and multiple other sources have reported that the Frenchman will be on a deal until May 2025, with an option to extend a further year.
The fee is a reported £34 million plus £8 million in potential add-ons, as per Simon Stone and multiple other sources.
Jadon Sancho fully announced
After the club announced that they agreed a deal in principle for Jadon Sancho last week, the winger was officially unveiled as a United player this week. The 21-year-old and Solskjær both spoke on the transfer here and the first full interview can be read here.
Alex Telles injury update
Alex Telles sustained an ankle injury in training which kept him out of the QPR friendly match, but Solskjær has since confirmed that the left-back will be out for the entirety of August, with the injury being worse than first thought.
United finalise plans for a new fan advisory board
James Ducker has reported that Manchester United are finalising plans for a new fan advisory board as part of the Glazer family’s bid to improve relations between the club and fans. The board will consist of seven supporters and five United executives. It is due to meet quarterly, with one of Avram or Joel Glazer attending at least once each year.
Solskjær signs a 3-year deal
Ole Gunnar Solskjær has signed a new deal with the club until 2024, with an option for a further year. You can read quotes from Ed Woodward and the manager on the deal here.
James to remain at Old Trafford
Multiple reporters including James Ducker have said that Solskjær is reluctant to let Daniel James leave the club this summer amid interest from Premier League clubs, due to the fact that Marcus Rashford will miss the start of the season following surgery.
The Paul Pogba saga continues
After the match against QPR on Saturday, Solskjær told the media that Pogba was looking forward to the new season with United. Fabrizio Romano said that United’s position was clear and that they wanted to offer Pogba a new contract and regardless of whether or not he signs one, they want to keep him at the club after this summer.
However, on Monday, Oliver Kay of The Athletic reported that neither Pogba or his agent, Mino Raiola, are in a rush to commit to a new deal at Old Trafford. Then today (Wednesday), there have been multiple reports that the Frenchman has declined an offer to extend at United. Abdellah Boulma reported that an offer from PSG should arrive in the coming days for the midfielder. RMCSport reported similar on Tuesday night, where they said while PSG have not made an offer yet, contacts should begin quickly.
There have also been reports from the ever-reliable Adam Crafton of the Athletic today stating that a formal bid from PSG is anticipated in the next week. He also reported that United will look to receive in excess of £50 million and that the French club are insistent that they won’t pay over the odds for the midfielder.
The preference for United is to sign a midfielder but new deals depend on outgoings
After securing the signings of both Sancho and Varane, United’s immediate preference is to sign a midfielder, as per Samuel Luckhurst and Richard Fay of Manchester Evening News. However they have also reported that moves for a second centre-back or a full-back have not been ruled out.
Luckhurst has also reported that any more incomings at the club are expected to hinge on outgoings. James Ducker reported similar, adding that the club are targeting a net spend between £75-100 million this summer.
The Saul Niguez situation
Chris Wheeler and Jack Gaughan reported that United want Saul Ñíguez as a possible Pogba replacement and that Atletico Madrid could accept an offer of £45 million for the 26-year-old. Simon Jones of The Daily Mail also reported United’s interest in the midfielder.
However, Stretty News released an exclusive this morning where they have reported that, at the moment, United are not a club involved in discussions to sign the midfielder.
Adding Rice to the mix?
Alongside conflicting reports that Manchester United are looking at signing Saul, there is also continued news on another long-term target of the Red Devils, in the form of West Ham midfielder Declan Rice.
Although there has not been a lot of direct links between Rice and the club this week, Matt Law of the Daily Telegraph as reported that Rice has already reject two contract offers from West Ham, and would reject a third. Law states that Rice as been asked to be kept informed about any bids that come in for him, and that due to this, West Ham will have to seriously consider any bids that come in over the region of £60m.
Jones, Bailly and Tuanzebe’s future
Multiple sources have placed Newcastle United as the likely future for Axel Tuanzebe on a loan deal. Jonathan Shrager has reported that The Magpies are leading the race for the defender on a season-long loan.
While the club are also contemplating letting Phil Jones leave on a free-transfer and that West Ham are admirers of the centre-back, as per Dean Jones.
Rob Dawson has reported that Eric Bailly will seek clarification over his future after the signing of Varane, there are concerns that his first-team opportunities will be severely limited. A UtdDistrict exclusive last week looked at the centre-back’s situation, as well as information regarding to how people around the defender feel about the signing of Varane.
Dalot to think about
A transfer story that has slowly turned itself in to a minor saga, the future of right-back Diogo Dalot is still up in the air.
AC Milan, where he was on loan last season, want him back. However, United are a a bit more reluctant to loan him out again, and so this time are asking for an “obligation to redeem [buy]” to be included in the loan deal, alongside a fee of €3-4m.
Will Fish leaves on loan
United academy player Will Fish has left the club on loan after making two appearances in the first-team’s pre-season. The 18-year-old centre-back will join National League side Stockport County. He will remain with the United squad in pre-season until an agreed time where he will make the move.
United secure Ethan Ennis’ transfer
16-year-old Ethan Ennis has completed a transfer to United from Liverpool. He played for their Under-18s side last season and it is expected that he could be a part of United’s Under-23s team for the coming season.
Mannion, Blundell, Thomas & Baggaley sign for United
There have been four signings for the Women’s team this week. Martha Thomas, Aoife Mannion, Sophie Baggaley and Hannah Blundell have all made moves to The Red Devils ahead of the new season.
United agree terms with Skinner
Marc Skinner has left his role as manager at Orlando Pride in preparation for his move to become Manchester United Women’s manager. Emma Sanders of BBC has reported that Skinner has agreed terms with the club and he is set to be announced as the manager any day now.
McManus & James leave the club
While there has been four incomings, the Women’s team has also had two departures with Abbie McManus and Lauren James leaving the club. McManus’ contract has expired, while James has left the club to join Chelsea in a deal which saw Blundell come the other way.