Hey reader, welcome to The Weekly Round-Up. Here you can catch a glimpse of all the transfer news throughout the last week. Our aim is to keep you up to date with all of the important news regarding Manchester United, so you don’t miss a thing. So let’s not waste any time and get straight to it.
Manchester United were back in action against Leeds on Sunday. It turned out to be a pretty average affair which did not live up to the hype of the 6-2 game which took place earlier in the season. It was United’s seventh stalemate of the season.
It has been a week full of action off the field with Eric Bailly and Marc Jurado both signing new contracts with the club. Here is The Weekly Round-Up:
One brother apologizes, While the other refuses
Joel Glazer for probably the first time in 16 years addressed Manchester United fans in an open letter and talked about ‘rebuilding’ the trust with the fans.
Later in the week, Joel’s brother Avram Glazer refused to apologize to United fans despite being asked repeatedly by the Mirror.
Thursday morning, Manchester United released a statement.
“At approximately 9am this morning a group gained access to the club training ground. The manager and others spoke to them. Buildings were secure and the group has now left the site.”
The group mentioned above were reportedly 20 United supporters who headed inside Carrington to protest against the Glazers, they also held up a banner which said ‘51% MUFC’, as football fans across the country want to adapt to the German module of the 50+1 rule, you can learn more about it here.
Police arrived at Carrington to help smooth the situation and no arrests were made. Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher and Nemanja Matic spoke to the fans who protested. Following these protest United officials have increased security at Carrington as well as outside Old Trafford.
One more protest with large number of supporters was conducted on Saturday near the Holy Trinity. Fans were very resolute and United against the Glazer family.
United supporters also flew a banner with a powerful message over Elland road, just before the kick off against Leeds.
The Woodward Dilemma
Throughout the week there have been various reports regarding the involvement and role of Ed Woodward in the Super League plans and how it led to his resignation.
Some journalists have said that Woodward’s resignation is partly due to serious misgivings over the controversial proposals for a European Super League.
Sky have also said that Ed Woodward tendered his resignation to the Glazer family because he couldn’t support their plans for a European Super League. While some other Journalists have suggested that Woodward was deeply involved in the creation of the super league, and all this talk of him regretting his decisions and disagreeing with Glazers is just ‘PR’ to save face.
Woodward to appoint his successor
MEN were the first to report that Ed Woodward is expected to step down from his role as CEO in the summer, rather than the end of the year.
However, it was Laurie Whitwell from The Athletic who reported that Woodward would have a significant role in the appointment of his successor. He also suggested that If Woodward indeed leaves in the summer, United would need to replace him, may it be temporarily until they can interview candidates for the position. If a temporary appointment does happen, many people view Richard Arnold as one of the candidates to replace Woodward. Arnold is the current Managing Director of United. These reports of Woodward playing an influential role to choose his successor were also relayed by MEN.
Alex Crook from TalkSport has suggested that an external candidate with Premier League experience is the more likely to replace Woodward.
Fan’s Forum on Friday
Laurie Whitwell has reported that Manchester United owners will be attempting to mend relations with fans by hosting an emergency fans’ forum on Friday. The indication as of now is that Joel Glazer will not be attending the forum.
Pre-season at Malta
MEN have said that United are finalising plans to travel to Malta for part of their pre-season training. An outlet in Malta has also confirmed this news.
£60 million to sign Raphael Varane
The MEN have reported that Raphael Varane has been a long standing target of United, who want to bring in an experienced center-back to play alongside Harry Maguire. They have also said that some clubs want to wait till end of next season to take Varane for free, giving United a clear run to sign him.
Later in the week, Fabrizio Romano also confirmed United’s interest in the Real Madrid center-back.
Liverpool to fight United for Sancho?
Leah Smith has suggested that United are still keen on Jadon Sancho, but so are the other clubs.
Mike McGrath from the Telegraph has also reported that Jadon Sancho is a long term target of United and moving for him has become easier after Bailly signed a new contract.
United monitoring Daka and Plea
Salzburger Nachrichten have reiterated that United are among the clubs interested in striker Patson Daka.
Simon Jones from the Daily Mail, has reported that United are among the clubs monitoring the 28 year old striker Alassane Plea, who could be available for just £15M.
Lee Grant leaving and Tom Heaton returning?
Chris Wheeler from the Daily Mail have reported that Grant is set to leave United in the summer, after United withdrew their offer to extend his contract.
The reliable Alan Nixon, has suggested that United are looking to sign a cover keeper and are checking out the interest and availability of Tom Heaton, in case Sam Johnstone decides against a move to his former club.
United make an offer for Calvert-Lewin
Leah Smith from the Stretty news, has reported that a recent offer was made to Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin from Manchester United.
Eric Bailly signs a new contract
Eric Bailly has finally put pen to paper and signed a new 3 year deal at United with the option to extend it by another year.
Cavani likely to leave
Leah Smith has suggested that Edinson Cavani is ‘likely’ to leave United in the summer.
Academy prospect puts pen to paper
Marc Jurado, 17, has signed his first professional contract at Manchester United. The full-back was bought from Barcelona last year after he rejected the deal offered to him by the Spanish team to join the Red Devils. He has been playing his football in the Under-18s this season.
As we creep closer to the end of the season and the transfer market, it will be likely that we hear more and more rumours around who United will be looking to sign in the summer transfer window.